On My Way Back to Days Like This

I’m Back!

Well it’s been a long two weeks, but I am home now and recovering well from what ended up being two surgeries on my back, the first on March 12th, the second on March 18th.  I have a long recovery ahead of me, but I saw my surgeon today, and he said that unless something happens, I should be fine to be back on a horse and hunting elk for the muzzle loader season in September.  I knew going into this that I would be facing a long recovery, and my goal was to be able to hunt elk in September, it looks like I will meet that goal.  While the recovery is still a bit uncomfortable, I no longer have the extreme pain that I had been experiencing for almost three months since the injury on January 3rd.  The news today was extremely positive!

I have to say that I was a bit overwhelmed by my readers, with over 540 emails since my last post from my loyal fans wishing me well.  I can’t tell you all enough how much I appreciate that, and I responded to every email.  I have also had great support from friends, like my best friend Rich who flew out here from Seattle to help take care of things around the house for me, and spent a lot of time sitting in the hospital with me.  My friend Nyles who took me to the hospital after working a full night shift the night before at the same hospital, and then stayed with me until I came out of the recovery unit.  My friend Jane who came to see me a few times, and then brought me home.  My daughter Jessica, son-in-law Brad, and my granddaughter Isis who came to visit.  My son Kyle, his girlfriend Jessie, and his friend Nick who came to see me.  And several people from work who came by the hospital or my home to visit me and offer help. I also have to mention a very nice gift I received from my friends Rob Novick and Kurt Wolfe at enVision Business Consulting for ordering me a package of about 40 pounds of different kinds of meat from Tony’s Meat Market, which will be enough to feed Kyle and me for quite a while.  And finally I received a really cool gift from my staff at work, which was a reconditioned WWII ammo container filled with beef jerky and other snacks, accompanied by a very encouraging note.  I also had tons of calls, emails and texts from other close friends and family, like Sophia, Shelley, my son Jake, my sister and Dad, just tons of people.  It was really a strong showing of support, and I’m sorry if I left anyone out.

I can’t tell you how much it means to know that so many people actually care about me and my well-being, it really lifted my spirits so many times in the past couple of weeks.  I am feeling very positive about the whole experience, even though I know I have a ways to go.  Yes, I am going to miss out on a lot of things in the near term, but in the long term I should be set to go as far as my back goes.  While I won’t have any current or recent adventures to write about for a few months, I will have plenty of time to write about past experiences and knowledge to share with my devoted readers.

And I know I will be pushing the limits and getting out to do some fishing long before I have this brace off of my back, at least that is how I interpreted what the doctor told me today; he said I can’t lift more than ten pounds for at least three months.  Well, it’s not that often that I catch a 10 pound fish, so I take that to mean that fishing should be OK, as long as I don’t twist my back or bend over, which I think I can accomplish.